At Platinum Roofing we are specialists in a relatively new type of roof system: the polyester reinforced white acrylic fluid-applied roof, also known as a “cool roof,” which is applied over an existing roof to extend its life and provide reflective characteristics. Any existing roof surface is a candidate for using this system. Depending on the condition of the existing roof, a protective acrylic surface can even be applied without any reinforcement making it an extremely cost-effective option. The benefits of a “cool roof” are as follows:
- Saves money on cooling costs. Actual cooling cost savings of 20 to 25% are common and even up to 50% has been documented by the EPA and other agencies.
- Less expensive (to install and maintain). Depending on roof insulation, the cost savings of lower cooling costs could cover the re-topcoat expense that is necessary every 10 to 15 years. This means your actual out-of-pocket expense for re-roofing any of your buildings is only once instead of three times during your lifetime, according to a recent survey. And when selling, you won’t get dinged for roof credits.
- Can be treated as roof maintenance, and as a result, can be expensed in a single year.
- Decreases the temperature inside the building during the warmer months.
- It is lightweight, and as such can be applied directly over virtually any existing low slope roofing system. And by doing so helps preserve our ever- growing landfills.
- It’s seamless. That means there are no seams to come loose and allow water leakage.
- It is walkable.
- It is superior to all other systems where rooftop mechanical equipment limits access to the roof surface and disconnects, and lifting is not practical.
- Can be color-tinted for aesthetic appeal.
Acrylic fluid-applied roofing is inexpensive to install and maintain and can extend the life of a roof dramatically. Fluid-applied coatings are formulated with UV blocking and white pigments to protect further asphalt degradation in the old roofing below. The degradation of conventional hot asphalt reinforced roof systems is caused by three important factors: (1) loss of plasticizers, which provide flexibility, (2) UV components of sunlight, and (3) thermal shock caused by large fluctuations in temperature change. According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the white pigments in fluid-applied coatings can actually reduce the temperature of the roof surface by up to 100 degrees Fahrenheit, or within 10 degrees of the ambient air temperature, hence the name “cool roof”. These key elements virtually “freeze” the aging process of the old roof system below.
This system also features the best manufacturer warranties in the industry. Ten and 15-year material and labor warranties are available from most manufacturers and are usually renewed when the white acrylic topcoat is re-sprayed every 10-15 years.